Connect with us

Sports

It was way too heavy for me, Wilder blames entrance costume for loss to Fury

Published

Wilder Fury

Deontay Wilder has blamed Saturday’s defeat to Tyson Fury on his ring-walk costume and has also confirmed that a third world heavyweight title fight with Tyson Fury “is definitely going to happen”.

Wilder was dominated by Fury from the first round at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, eventually losing the first fight of his career in round seven after the American’s assistant trainer, Mark Breland, threw in the towel.

Breland’s decision has not gone down well with Wilder, who was knocked down twice by Fury, and the American is now considering removing him from his corner ahead of the third fight.

“The rematch is definitely going to happen,” Wilder told The Athletic. “We’re going to get it on. I want to get right back to it.”

The previously undefeated American entered the ring in Las Vegas wearing a 40-pound outfit designed to celebrate Black History Month.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: EPL to resume June 17

Wilder was knocked down by a right hand from Fury in the third round and again by a body shot in the fifth.

The 34-year-old also fell another two times and appeared to struggle with his balance.

He didn’t hurt me at all, but the simple fact is that my uniform was way too heavy for me,” Wilder told Yahoo Sports.

“I didn’t have no legs from the beginning of the fight. In the third round, my legs were just shot all the way through.

“A lot of people were telling me, ‘It looked like something was wrong with you.’ Something was, but when you’re in the ring, you have to bluff a lot of things.

“I tried my best to do so. I knew I didn’t have the legs because of my uniform. I was only able to put it on (for the first time) the night before but I didn’t think it was going to be that heavy.

“It weighed 40, 40-some pounds with the helmet and all the batteries. I wanted my tribute to be great for Black History Month. I wanted it to be good and I guess I put that before anything.”

Sports

PSG sign striker Icardi on permanent deal

Published

on

Mauro Icardi

French champions Paris St Germain have signed striker Mauro Icardi on a permanent deal from Inter Milan, the Serie A club said on Sunday.

Argentine Icardi, 27, joined PSG in September on a season-long loan with a buy-out option.

“FC Internazionale Milano announces the transfer of Mauro Icardi to Paris Saint-Germain FC; the striker, born in 1993, has permanently moved to the French club.

“The club thanks the player for the six seasons he spent with us and wishes him the best for his future professional career,” Inter said in a statement.

Icardi scored 20 goals in 31 matches in all competitions before the season was officially concluded on April 30, with 10 games remaining due to the COVID-19 crisis.

MORE READING!  Is Cristiano Ronaldo expecting another baby?

He has been competing for a place in the side with Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani, PSG’s all-time top scorer, whose contract expired on June 30.

NAN

Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Ukrainian match postponed after footballers test positive for coronavirus

Published

on

Ukraine’s top professional soccer league said on Saturday it had canceled one of its first post-lockdown matches after several players and staff at Karpaty in the western city of Lviv tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The match between Karpaty and Mariupol from the Azov Sea port of Mariupol was supposed to be played on Sunday behind closed doors.

MORE READING!  Apollo Crews: Nigerian-born wrestler wins first WWE US Champion title

The football authorities did not specify how many players had been affected by the virus and when a rescheduled match may be played.

“Those infected were immediately transferred to self-isolation. They had no symptoms,” the league said in a statement.

Ukraine’s government has started easing restrictions imposed in March to prevent the spread of the virus and allowed sports events to continue if all participants are tested and comply with other safety requirements.

MORE READING!  Is Cristiano Ronaldo expecting another baby?

The soccer authorities decided to resume competitions in the Premier League and the Cup with no spectators. Two of Ukraine’s most famous clubs, Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk, are scheduled to meet on Sunday.

Ukraine has reported 23,304 cases, including 696 deaths from the coronavirus as of May 30.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tennis’ world number 11 undergoes surgery on both ankles

Published

on

World number 11 Fabio Fognini underwent surgery on both ankles on Saturday to cure a long-standing problem.

In a statement posted on Twitter, the 33-year-old Italian tennis player said he had hoped the two-month break due to the coronavirus pandemic would have improved his situation.

“I’ve been having a problem with my left ankle for three and a half years now and it’s an issue I’ve learned to cope with,” Fognini said. “Then my right ankle started playing up in the last two years as well.

“After a medical examination and a long discussion with my team, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery on both ankles.

“I believe it’s the right thing to do while the Tour is on an enforced break. I will have surgery today`(Saturday).”

No professional tournaments have been played since the start of March because of the pandemic, and the ATP Tour has been suspended until at least the start of August.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares
Continue Reading




Trending