Connect with us

News

Woman smuggles husband corpse to Enugu for burial, contracts coronavirus

Published

The Enugu State Government has announced three new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state, bringing the total to 15.

The Commissioner for Health, Prof. Ikechukwu Obi, disclosed this in a statement in Enugu on Tuesday.

Obi said that two previously active COVID-19 cases in Enugu had now tested negative, adding that the three confirmed cases had travel history.

“The Enugu State Ministry of Health wishes to announce that two cases out of the previously active COVID-19 cases undergoing treatment in Enugu state have tested negative and are being assessed for discharge.

“However, the state has unfortunately received three new results of persons who have tested positive for the virus.

“This means that Enugu state has 15 cases in all, with nine active cases and six cases discharged after testing negative,” he said.

Obi said that the two cases that had tested negative were cases number five and nine, adding that the three new positive cases entered Enugu State illegally during the ban on interstate transportation.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 cases rise to 5,135 in Lagos, deaths now 59

“Case 13 is a 25-year old man from Ondo State, who lives in Lagos and made his way first to Akwa Ibom, then to Rivers State and finally to Obollo Afor in Udenu LGA of Enugu state, all within the period of boundaries closure.

“He developed symptoms while at Obollo Afor; the health authorities were alerted, he was tested and his result came out positive.

“Case 14 is a 38-year-old male from Okpuje in Nsukka LGA who lives in Nassarawa State and found his way back to Enugu State during the same period of lockdown.

“On suspecting he may have contracted the virus, he initially went into self-quarantine in a hotel at Nsukka and subsequently developed symptoms and alerted the health authorities.

” He was tested and his test result also came back positive.

“Case 15 is a 28-year-old female and a widow who hails from Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area, Enugu State, and lives in Lagos State with her husband.

“She recently lost her husband in Lagos and was able to smuggle her husband’s corpse back to Enugu state for burial, despite the lockdown in Lagos State and the national ban on inter-state movement.

“Her actions raised suspicion and the health authorities were alerted. She was subsequently tested and her result came back positive.

“These unfortunate figures are coming up as a result of individuals who have deliberately disobeyed the lockdown order and inter-state transportation as ordered by the federal and state governments,” he said.

(NAN)

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Osun relaxes curfew, asks workers to resume

News

I’m fully convinced Buhari is not in charge of this country, Wole Soyinka says (video)

Published

on

Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has said that he does not believe President Muhammadu Buhari is in charge of the country.

He made this statement in reference to the open letter written to Buhari by a retired colonel and former military administrator of Kaduna, Umar Dangiwa, over the president’s habit of appointing people from his section of the country into office.

Reacting to this in an interview on PlusTv Africa’s ‘One-On-One’ on Thursday, the playwright and political activist said the answer to the nation’s problem is decentralisation.

MORE READING!  Lockdown: Gov. Ugwuanyi reopens popular Ogbette main market in Enugu

The renowned writer commended the former military administrator who has a tendency to hit the nail hard and go straight to the point factually without self-interest.

He said;

“Umar Dangiwa is one of the really serious letter writers without self-interest and when I saw this I was appalled but I shouldn’t have been appalled in the first place. I was appalled by the silence that followed this revelation. I think those who are responsible for this criminal lopsidedness should be punished. It is not sufficient just to discuss it. It’s criminal.

READ ALSO: We’ll ban churches, mosques gatherings again if…, FG says

“I have said this before. I don’t believe there is really anybody in charge in Aso Rock. I’m sorry to say this. I’ve been studying the trend over the past year and a half and I believe this president is not in charge of this nation, in so many aspects and directions.

“I’m convinced he’s not really and totally with it.

“It’s so serious. It is not the fact alone, we know the history of this. We know what it has caused the nation, and we know it isn’t over yet. And you say are launching an enquiry. That’s not enough. This man is not in charge.”

 

MORE READING!  Ondo 2020: Okunomo advises against monetising PDP primary

Watch video of the full interview below;

 

 

 

Continue Reading

News

We’ll ban churches, mosques gatherings again if…, FG says

Published

on

The Federal Government has threatened to review the relaxation of the restriction placed on churches and mosques if worshippers disregard its guidelines.

The Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, said this on Thursday at the task force press conference in Abuja.

In the guidelines, the task force advises vulnerable people including those with conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, cancer as well as people that are above 55 years to worship at home.

MORE READING!  Lagos records 17 COVID-19 related deaths in two days

Mustapha said the task force would continue to explain the guidelines it issued to worship centres and other public places.

On the reopening of churches and mosques, he stated,

“As we approach the weekend, we remind the public to be aware of the guidelines set for restricted opening of places of worship. National guidelines have been shared with the states and we expect that protocols will be agreed with religious leaders. Compliance is important so as to avoid unwanted consequences that put the lives of people at risk of contracting COVID-19. We urge utmost caution at all times.

“The PTF will continue to monitor the overall compliance to the easing of restriction as well as evolution of the outbreak. However, we will not hesitate to review as we progress, should the situation warrant, to avoid preventable risks of transmission.”

Mustapha restated that the World Health Organization had resumed the clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine, which it suspended on May 25.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Osun relaxes curfew, asks workers to resume
Continue Reading

News

Buhari nominates Okonjo-Iweala for WTO DG position

Published

on

Buhari nominates Okonjo-Iweala for WTO DG position

President Muhammadu Buhari has nominated a former Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, as its candidate for the Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) election coming up next year.

Buhari confirmed the nomination on Thursday in an official announcement through the Nigerian Embassy and Permanent Mission to the African Union (AU) and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

In the diplomatic note to inform all member countries’ embassies and permanent missions, President Buhari said he was communicating Nigeria’s decision to withdraw the candidacy of Yonov Frederick Agah for the election.

He did not disclose the reasons for the withdrawal of Mr Agah’s candidature. Mr Agah is currently one of the four deputy director-general of the WTO. He was first appointed deputy director-general October 1, 2013. He was reappointed for a second four-year term on October 1, 2017. His tenure runs out on October 1, 2021.

MORE READING!  Three doctors test positive for COVID-19 in Nasarawa

The President said Mrs Okonjo-Iweala would serve as Nigeria’s Candidate for the term 2021 – 2025 at the elections scheduled for in Geneva, Switzerland in 2021.

READ ALSO: Lagos to decide reopening of schools in two weeks

A renowned global finance expert, Mrs Okonjo-Iweala, is an economist and international development professional with over 30 years experience, having worked in Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and North America.

She is currently the Chair of the Board of Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance; a member of the Boards of Standard Chartered PLC and Twitter Inc, and was recently appointed as African Union (AU) Special Envoy to mobilise International Financial Support in the fight against COVID-19, as well as Special Envoy for the World Health Organization’s Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator.

MORE READING!  Full autopsy report reveals George Floyd tested positive for Coronavirus

Twice Nigeria’s Finance Minister (2003-2006) and (2011-2015), Mrs Okonjo-Iweala also served briefly as Nigeria’s Foreign Minister in 2006, the first Nigerian woman to hold both positions.

She had a 25-year career at the World Bank as a development economist, rising to the position of managing director (operations).

As finance minister, Mrs Okonjo-Iweala steered Nigeria through a varying degree of reforms, particularly on macroeconomic, trade, financial and real sector issues.

MORE READING!  Buhari nominates Okonjo-Iweala for WTO DG position

As managing director (operations) at the World Bank, her several portfolios included oversight responsibility for the Bank’s $81 billion operational portfolios in Africa, South Asia, Europe and Central Asia.

She spearheaded several World Bank’s initiatives to assist low-income countries during the 2008-2009 food crisis and later in the trying period of the global financial crisis.

In 2010, Mrs Okonjo-Iweala served as chair of the World Bank’s successful drive to raise $49.3 billion in grants and low-interest credit for the poorest countries of the world.

President Buhari used the memo to solicit the support of AU member-States, as well as Permanent Missions and Embassies in Addis Ababa to Mrs Okonjo-Iweala’s candidacy during the elections.

Continue Reading




Trending