Connect with us

General

Woman sprays acid on herself then lied that a black woman did

Published

Lizzie Dunn

Lizzie Dunn from Staten Island told police earlier this week she was attacked with acid when walking alone to a bus stop. The attacker was a panhandler, Dunn reported, a black woman in her 40s, who sprayed acid on her face when Dunn didn’t have cigarettes or spare change to give her.

“I didn’t know the person,” Dunn, 52, told the Daily News. “She then asked for money, and I told her no and sorry.”

That’s when the supposed woman got mad and grabbed Dunn by the shoulder, spun her around, sprayed her in the face, and fled, Dunn told police.

After the alleged attack, Dunn frantically ran into a nearby deli and told the owner to call 911.

MORE READING!  Gani Adams welcome set of twins with wife

“We thought it was a prank at first,” Andrew Kenwood, who was working at the deli, told NBC. “She came in here, she was banging on the door, banging on the door. She was almost fainting and falling. … When I tell you it was absolutely horrible — it looks like her face is melting off.”

Medics rushed Dunn to Staten Island University Hospital, where she was treated for third-degree burns to her face, neck, and left hand.

“It seemed like she was spraying a lot of times like she had to keep pressing the nozzle,” Dunn told CBS. “With my right hand I tried to grab the can and knock it out of her hand, and with the left hand I was trying to shield whatever spray she was misting on me.”

MORE READING!  VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death

After a police investigation, her story turned out to be a lie. The wounds were self-inflicted, and she confessed to police her story was fabricated.

“The alleged acid assault in the Woodrow area yesterday has been found to have not occurred,” the NYPD’s 123rd Precinct tweeted on Tuesday. “The injuries were self-inflicted and there is no perpetrator. There is no threat to the public.”

Investigators believe Dunn used a spray bottle to burn herself with some kind of homemade acid. She had scars from previous self-inflicted injuries on her body, cops said. No motive or reason for the incident has been explained, and police have not determined if she’ll face charges of filing a false police report.

MORE READING!  Big Brother Africa winner arraigned for laughing at Tanzanian President

General

Air Peace evacuates 301 Chinese from Nigeria

Published

on

Air Peace has evacuated 301 Chinese from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos to Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport, China’s most populous, commercial city.

Mr. Stanley Olisa, Spokesman of the airline, said in a statement on Friday that the evacuation which took place on Thursday was arranged by the Chinese government.

Olisa said that the flight took off about 10: 05 p.m. Nigerian time and arrived in China at about 1:15 p.m. Nigerian time on Friday.

MORE READING!  Nigeria, one of West Africa’s most dangerous countries for journalists - Reporters Without Borders

He said that Air Peace was also the airline that evacuated Israelis in Nigeria late March and has been contacted by other countries for evacuation operations.

“Air Peace on Thursday, May 28, operated its second flight to China as we evacuated 301 Chinese nationals back to their country,” he said.

He added The flight departed the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, at exactly 10.05 p.m to Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport, China.

He said Air Peace deployed its Boeing 777 aircraft with the registration number 5N-BWI for the evacuation exercise.

MORE READING!  George Floyd: Black CNN reporter arrested on live TV (Video)

The Regional Airport Manager, South West, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mrs. Victoria Shin-Aba, said the flight: P47807 pushed back from the Echo terminal of MMIA at 9:40 p.m. with 325 souls on board – 301 Chinese evacuees and 24 crew members.

She explained that all relevant government agencies such as FAAN, Nigeria Immigration Service, Port Health Services officials, and others were fully on the ground to ensure the success of the evacuation exercise.

“Air Peace is slated to carry out more evacuation operations for other nationals living in Nigeria, as the airline and other domestic operators gear up to resume scheduled flight operations soon.

“There are indications that commercial flight operations would resume early June, as the Nigerian Civil

Aviation Authority (NCAA) has started auditing airlines in preparation for scheduled passenger service,” she said.

MORE READING!  Labour, Civil Society flays deduction of salaries of workers, pensioners by Kaduna Govt, other States
Continue Reading

General

Obiano signs COVID-19 Prevention Bill into law

Published

on

Gov. Willie Obiano of Anambra on Friday signed into the Anambra State COVID-19 and Other Dangerous Diseases Prevention and Eradication bill into law.

Speaking at a ceremony before signing the bill into law, Obiano called for strict compliance with the law, saying that his administration was committed to enforcing the law to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

MORE READING!  Innocent Nigerian spends 15 years in US jail for murder, regains freedom with $10m compensation

He commended the Speaker of the state’s house of assembly, Mr. Uche Okafor, for the speedy passage of the bill.

Speaking at the event, Dr. Uju Nworgu, the state’s Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, said the new law had to do with how to prevent COVID-19.

According to reports that the bill has 15 sections with many sub-sections, dwelling on the current lockdown, closure of educational institutions, and other issues.

MORE READING!  Big Brother Africa winner arraigned for laughing at Tanzanian President

The new law stipulates N10, 000 fine, community service, or both for non-adherence to face mask-wearing.

Obiano also signed the Public procurement Amendment bill into law.

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: Censors Board exploring virtual platforms to serve motion picture industry—DG

Published

on

Mr. Adedayo Thomas, the Executive Director, National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB), says the organization is committed to exploring virtual platforms in its service delivery to the motion picture industry.

Thomas made this known on Friday in an interview with Newsmen on the sidelines of the organization’s first teleconference board meeting in Abuja.

According to Thomas, the NFVCB as a critical stakeholder in the creative sector has resolved to adopt virtual platforms in carrying out some of its functions, including censoring and classification activities amidst the coronavirus lockdown.

He said that the virtual operation had enabled the board members to deliberate on salient issues affecting the organization even as they observed social distancing necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said this had also presented the opportunity to classify movies and video works produced before the COVID-19 lockdown, which had totally halted the motion picture sector.

“We understand it has been a challenging period for us as a nation with the advent of the coronavirus disease pandemic.

“However, the business of government must continue and that is why we have decided to explore virtual platforms as a good alternative in getting some of our jobs done.

“Thirty-five of our governing board members spread across different states were able to attend our first meeting for the year from the comfort of their homes and offices through zoom hosted here at the headquarters.

“The board was able to ratify the 2020 promotion examination and some pending disciplinary cases and it also got updated on the level of implementation of this year’s budget, among other matters.

“As the world grapples with the COVID-19 pandemic, virtual platforms have become useful options for businesses and urgent functions of government and we most key into it to keep our economy working,” he said.

The NFVCB chief lamented the harsh realities of the pandemic on the global economy, including the creative sector and the film industry in particular.

MORE READING!  Innocent Nigerian spends 15 years in US jail for murder, regains freedom with $10m compensation

He, however, expressed hope that the tough time would pass in all aspects of our national life and urged Nollywood stakeholders to adhere to precautionary measures prescribed by health authorities toward preventing coronavirus.

“I encourage our filmmakers to keep the spirit high and take all necessary precautions as advised and directed by relevant government bodies and agencies.

“However, in order to keep the system running so as not to jeopardize the business interest of stakeholders, the board now operates virtually from its headquarters here in Abuja.

“Should they have any finished film/video work for censorship during this period, they can get such works to us through an online process,” he said.

Reports that the NFVCB is a Federal Government body that regulates the films and video industry in Nigeria.

MORE READING!  George Floyd: Black CNN reporter arrested on live TV (Video)

The board is empowered by law to classify all films and videos whether imported or produced locally.

It is also the duty of the board to register all films and videos outlet across the country and to keep a register of such registered outlets among other functions.

Continue Reading




Trending