Connect with us

Xenophobia: Zimbabwe announce plan to evacuate 171 citizens from South Africa

South African police xenophobic attacks

General

Xenophobia: Zimbabwe announce plan to evacuate 171 citizens from South Africa

The Zimbabwean government has joined Nigeria in announcing plans to evacuate some of its citizens from South Africa following the death of two Zimbabweans during the latest xenophobic violence, local media said on Wednesday.

Zimbabwe’s Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister, Monica Mutsvangwa, announced the government’s plan on Tuesday. This comes after Nigeria announced that Air Peace had also offered to evacuate some Nigerians from South Africa.

MORE READING!  I’ve betrayed her trust, I've really hurt her, remorseful man says after s3x with fiancée's best friend

WuzupNigeria reports that the first batch of 187 Nigerians arrived at the Lagos airport from South Africa on Wednesday night.

“The Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (Sibusiso Moyo) briefed Cabinet on the current xenophobic attacks on immigrants in South Africa,” the Herald in Zimbabwe quoted Mutsvangwa as saying.

“He indicated that a total of 171 Zimbabwean nationals had been affected, with two of them having lost their lives.

“Government is deeply saddened by this occurrence and is currently in the process of making arrangements to urgently repatriate the affected citizens back home.”

Moyo had added that Zimbabwe would “escalate” the evacuation if the situation deteriorated and that he was seeking support from international organisations to help those affected.

MORE READING!  Girl, 10, is eight months pregnant after 'her 15-year-old brother raped her' 

 

Click to comment

More in General

Most Read

Just In

To Top